Wednesday, January 27, 2010

One of Those Days

Today was one of those days that every runner knows.  I went out to run at about 5:30 this morning.  It was about 30 degrees, not too bad.  I started out and knew I didn't have it.  The energy was simply not there.  Why?  I have no idea.  I slept eight hours, I'm not sick.  The only explanation is that this is my second week back running and I have escalated fairly rapidly.  My longest run has been 5 miles, today was supposed to be 3.  Maybe my anxiousness to get back to full speed is overwhelming my good sense.

I live in the country and work in the city.  We have a beautiful place, but it is very hilly.  If I run an out and back, the out is easy (mostly downhill), and you can guess what the back entails.  I need to be more patient with getting back after a year off.

I have always struggled with the pull between obsessiveness and balance.  Running gives me that sense of mental peace, but as the day goes on, I tend to become obsessive about the next day's performance.  That's silly if I am doing this primarily to help with my overall sense of well-being.  Writing this makes me aware of this tendency and helps me let go of the need to outdo myself, at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment