Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Running and Psychopathology

I read an interesting study many years ago in which a psychiatrist divided his depressed patients into three groups.  With one group, he did traditional therapy.  With one group, he ran with them on a daily basis.  With the third group, he did a combination of therapy and running.  Which group had the most improvement in their depressive symptoms?  The group who simply ran.  Close behind was the combination group (no statistically significant difference), but both were significantly more improved than the therapy only group.  (I am sorry it's been too long ago for me to remember a reference to the study.)

Two years ago, I worked with a marathon training group on a similar basis.  We asked anyone who needed help with any emotional issue to participate in group therapy combined with a training run.  Several persons responded to the call and we gathered weekly for eight weeks.  I was amazed at their progress.

Anyone who runs does not find this surprising.  It is almost intuitive to us.

I would love to hear from other mental health professionals who have had similar experiences.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I wish I could get all my patients to exercise, but most are more willing to take medication. I work in a residential setting 1 day/week and have suggested that we take the patients on AM runs/walks, but they probably would all run away.
    Did the group you worked with publish anything? It is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete